The Mt Whitney Lottery will start on Feb. 1, 2018.
Lottery applications for the 2019 season are accepted on-line from Feb 1, 2019 to Mar 15, 2019 (midnight Eastern Time). Lottery results will be available on March 24th.
Please submit only one application per group.
Trips sponsored by organizations or commercial groups must contact the Inyo National Forest wilderness permit office before applying for a Mt. Whitney permit.
Fees: No Refunds
Transaction Fee: One application may list up to 15 trip choices and 3 alternate leaders for one $10.00 fee.
Reservation Fee: Lottery winners must pay a $15.00 per person reservation fee by April 30, 2018 to claim any awarded date. Unclaimed dates will be canceled.
Seasonal trail information, Lottery Tips & Statistics, can be found here.
- Applications are entered on-line, February 1 through March 15, until midnight Eastern Time.
- After March 15, all the applications are processed in one lottery.
- April 1 all remaining space opens for web reservations.
- April 1- April 30: Accept or decline dates won in the lottery. Complete trip information and pay the $15 per person reservation fee to claim your reservation.
- April 30: Deadline to accept and pay reservation fee is midnight Eastern Time, or the reservation will be canceled.
- May 1, all remaining unclaimed dates are canceled and released for web reservations.