CREATED TO GET MORE GIRLS WHO HIKE MEMBERS OUT ON THE TRAILS, WHILE GIVING THEM A CHANCE TO POCKET $1,000 AT THE SAME TIME.
Originally created within the Los Angeles chapter, the City Slicker Challenge began as a simple 'group challenge' that has taken on a mind of its own among the Girls Who Hike chapters.
The idea is quite simple:
YOU HAVE 60 DAYS TO COMPLETE A DESIGNATED LIST OF 60 MILES. THE FIRST 60 GIRLS TO COMPLETE THE 60 MILES ARE ENTERED INTO A DRAWING FOR $1,000.
- Any Girls Who Hike member can register up to 11:59pm on the date prior to the beginning of the challenge
- At 12:00am on the first day of the challenge, every participant receives a Registration Packet including the following: Official Trail List, Trail Information/Trail Maps, Checkpoint Photo Instructions, Submission Instructions
- All registered members then have 60 days to complete the challenge. You can complete the trails out of order, you can knock out multiple in one day, you can save them all for the weekend (shout out to you 9-5ers), whatever gets the job done! Members are encouraged to complete the challenge together, since the first 60 participants who complete the challenge are entered to win the $1,000 cash prize. There are no first, second, third place prizes in this challenge. First 60 who complete the challenge win the same thing -- an entry into the cash drawing!
- On Day 61 (the first day after the challenge ends), the Finisher's List is announced & posted within the challenge's closed Facebook chapter. Participants have 24 hours to clear any issues with this Finisher's List, so please check carefully.
- On Day 62, the cash prize winner is drawn on Facebook Live, within the chapter's closed Facebook group, names out of a hat style so there are no discrepancies on the winner.
SAN DIEGO // JANUARY 1 2018 - MARCH 1, 2018 *CLOSED*
LOS ANGELES SPRING // MARCH 1 2018 - APRIL 29 2018 *REGISTRATION CLOSED - CHALLENGE HAPPENING NOW!*
ORANGE COUNTY // MAY 1 2018 - JUNE 29 2018 [REGISTRATION CUTOFF 4/30/18 11:59PM]
LOS ANGELES FALL // SEPTEMBER 1 2018 - OCTOBER 30 2018 [REGISTRATION CUTOFF 8/31/18 11:59PM]
INLAND EMPIRE // NOVEMBER 1 2018 - DECEMBER 30 2018 [REGISTRATION CUTOFF 10/31/18 11:59PM]
ALL PARTICIPANTS RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY CITY SLICKER CHALLENGE PATCH FOR REGISTERING.
REGISTRATION CLOSES AT 11:59PM ON THE DATE PRIOR TO THE CHALLENGE BEGINNING. SEE CUTOFF DATES ABOVE.
GOT A QUESTION? We (probably) have an answer for you:
Do you consider yourself a true SoCal hiker?
Great... this challenge should be a walk in the park.
Convinced you've hiked all of the popular trails in your area?
Awesome... Let us challenge you to complete them ALL in 60 days.
Are you new to the area and have no idea where to go hiking at?
No problem... we created a list for you and if you complete it in time, you may win $1,000.
Are you lacking the motivation to get out and explore our local city trails?
If $1,000 doesn't motivate you enough to get up and get 'er done, we're not sure what else to throw at ya.
How many miles is it?
How many days do I have to complete the challenge?
How many girls qualify for the cash prize?
The first 60 girls who successfully submit completion emails, following EVERY step of the Submission Instructions listed in the Registration Packet. Make sure you get your ducks in a row prior to submitting, cause we're not helping you out here!
How many trails will there be?
Somewhere between 10-15 total within the county that the challenge is being held in.
What's the minimum/maximum distance for each trail? What's the minimum/maximum elevation gain for each trail?
It's spread out on purpose to encourage newer hikers and experienced hikers to participate.
Shortest trail may be 2 miles, longest trail is usually no farther than 7 miles. (We learned our lesson with Mt. Lukens, LA chapter... don't worry. That won't happen again.)
Lowest elevation gain is probably a couple hundred feet. Highest elevation gain is usually 1,500-2,000 ft total.
Can I get a preview of the trail list beforehand? I want to see if it's doable before registering.
I just found out about this challenge on Day 3! Can I please sign up?
I broke my hip on Day 58, can I have a refund?
No refunds please once the challenge starts. Girls have been capable of completing the challenge within the first 7 days, so it would be unfair to be able to request refunds after the challenge begins. It's weird. EXCEPTION: If you DO injure yourself before and during the challenge and honestly cannot finish it as a result (you're not wimping out or giving up), send us a picture of your (non-fake) injury. We'll defer your challenge entry to the next one so you get another chance.
Can my underage daughter participate with me?
18+ only please. It's probably not legal in some way/shape/form for us to have minors participate and gift them cash, so let's just say 18+ to keep it simple.
I have a question that you didn't answer here.
Send an email to email@example.com with City Slicker Challenge in the title.